|Waste Reduction Programs
- Dining Services donates excess food preparations to the Salvation Army and SOS kitchens in Washington County. This includes entrees, pizza, and other cooked food that would otherwise be discarded. All donated food items are frozen prior to transport to allow agencies the freedom to distribute based on their specific schedules. Over a 6 month time period, Dining Services donated 1,913 pounds of food.
- Dining Services partnered with a local pig farmer to reuse food waste. Current food waste is collected by our local pig farmer as slop for his animals. By diverting food waste from the landfill, we are helping to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the Northwest. For Luau 2010, this new arrangement also benefited the Pacific community, as the farmer donated pigs for our student’s event. Program began in Summer 2008
- Beginning in Fall 2009, Dining Services began offering reusable to-go containers at our residential restaurant for all meals. To date, Dining Services and Pacific University residents have diverted 128,000 disposable to-go containers from landfills. Fall 2014, Dining Services gave out approximately 500 to-go containers to qualifying students. To-go containers can also be purchased for $5 in the P.O.D Market or The Grove.
- Have you noticed we don't use trays in The Grove? That's because there are environmental, social and economic benefits and to trayless dining.
- Reduces food waste
- conserves water usage
- reduced the use of dish detergent and sanitizers
- creates greater awarness about food waste & environmental impact
Locally Grown and Produced Foods
- We Buy Local!* Nearly 28% of all food purchases are local.
- Dining Services purchases vegetables, fruits, milk, processed dairy products (ice cream, cheese, yogurt, butter), meat, poultry, eggs, seafood, baked goods, granola/cereal, and sauces/syrups (maple syrup, honey, spreads, dressings, etc.) from local vendors.
- Dining Services purchases directly from three producers and purchases from an additional 28 local producers through distributors (Sysco Foods, Fulton Meats in Wilsonville OR, Franz Breads, Sunshine Dairy, Charlie’s Produce).
- Dining Services also uses Pacific’s B Street Farm to purchase anything in season, including lettuce, carrots, mixed greens, tomatoes, and peppers.
*Defined as food that has been grown, raised, produced, or processed within 200 miles of the campus.
- Aramark's Green Thread programs are used throughout Dining Services.
- “Blue Cleaning” (use of ionized water) is replacing chemical cleaning agents throughout Dining Services. Many other cleaning agents are biodegradable.