Vegetarian & Vegan Dining
Vegetarianism & Veganism Defined
Vegetarianism is an increasingly popular lifestyle that offers a variety of important health benefits, including improved body weight/composition and a reduced risk for numerous chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes. A person may choose to become a vegetarian for any number of reasons: animal rights, health, religion, personal taste preferences, financial concerns, etc. There are many different types of vegetarians, including the following:
- Ovo-Vegetarian: does not eat mealt, poultry, fish, or dairy but will eat eggs
- Lacto-Vegetarian: does not eat meat, poultry, fish, or eggs but will eat dairy
- Pescetarian: does not eat meat, poultry, dairy, or eggs but will eat fish
- Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian: does not eat meat, poultry, or fish but will eat dairy and eggs
- Flexitarian: sometimes follows a vegetarian diet but not always
- Vegan: does not eat meat, poultry, fish, dairy or eggs and may not eat honey or other foods from animals or processed using animal products such as white sugar, white flour, etc., and some also do not use animal products such as silk, leather, wool, etc.
Whether you are considering going vegetarian, have just made the transition,
or have been a vegetarian for years, it is important to make sure you are
getting all the nutrients your body needs to be healthy and strong.
Vegetarian & Vegan Dining Options
SMU Dining Services offers a variety vegetarian and vegan options at our residential restaurants, RFoC and Mac's Place.
- Breakfast: Omelets, cereal, waffles, toast, fresh fruit, milk, soy milk, and juice available from open to close daily. Scrambled eggs, pancakes, French toast, oatmeal, grits, breakfast potatoes, cottage cheese, and yogurt also available from breakfast.
- Grill: Vegetarian garden burgers, vegan black bean burgers, and grilled cheese offered daily. Grilled tilapia available upon request.
- Baked Potato Bar: Baked Russet and sweet pototoes with a variety of veggie toppies available daily.
- Home Zone: Vegetarian entrees and sides served daily.
- Healthy on the Hilltop: Vegan entrees, sides, and desserts served daily.
- Omelet Station: Cooked-to-order omelets available from open to close daily.
- Produce Market: Fully loaded salad bar with greens, veggies, beans, tofu, homemade salad dressings, and fresh fruit offered daily.
- Pizza and Pasta: Cheese pizza available daily. Specialy veggie pizzas and pastas served on select days.
- Deli: Build-your-own vegetarian or vegan sandwich option available daily.
- International Street Fare: Cooked-to-order vegetarian or vegan ethnic cuisine available daily.
- Soups: Vegetarian soup offered daily.
- Hummus & Salsa: Homemade hummus and salsas available daily.
- Grab 'n Go: Ready-to-heat-and-eat vegetarian entrees and sides, fruit cups, veggie cups, salads, hardboiled eggs, yogurt, cereal, and milk available daily. All grab 'n 'go items have ingredients listed on the label making it easy for you to find options that fit your specific needs. Microwaves are provided in the dining area so you can eat right away or take your meal to go.
- Grill: Vegetarian garden burgers, vegan black bean burgers and grilled cheese available daily. Specials may be cooked-to-order vegetarian or vegan.
- Salad Bar: Great selection of greens, veggies, beans, and dressings available from open to close daily.
- Pizza: Cheese and veggie pizza available daily.
You can also find a variety of great vegetarian options at our other on-campus dining locations:
- Mane Course -- Subway, Chick-fil-a, and Pizza Hut
- Cafe 100
- The Market, eS MUcho, and Sushic
- Einstein Brother's Bagels
These locations accept Flex, Pony, cash and credit cards.
How We Can Help
SMU Dining Services is happy to accomodate your needs. Please feel free to ask our servers to change their gloves and use clean utensils, cutting boards, cookware, etc. if you are concerned about cross-contamination with food products that you avoid. If you have any questions about how a menu item is prepared, ask a supervisor in a red chef coat. If you have any other questions, concerns, or suggestions, please contact us. Our dietitian, executive chef, and management staff will be more than happy to meet with you regarding your specific dietary needs.
SMU Dining Services
3300 Dyer St., Suite 101 (Umphrey Lee Center)
Dallas, TX 75275