Q. I want to eat healthy. Will I be able to find nutritious options at SMU?
A. We are so excited to hear that you have made nutrition a priority. Nutrition is an important element of health and SMU Dining Services supports your efforts. We are committed to providing the SMU community with a variety of nutritious options. We have several dining locations, each with its own unique characteristics and offerings.
RFoC at Umphrey Lee Center is the largest of our residential restaurants and provides a vast selection of menu items from a variety of different stations. Nutritious options regularly offered at RFoC include cooked-to-order omelets; homemade hummus and salsa; garden burgers; vegan black bean burgers; grilled chicken; grilled tilapia; baked sweet potatoes; hearty soups; fresh fruits and veggies; beans; tofu; cottage cheese; fat-free plain yogurt; deli turkey; tuna; whole grain bread and cereals; juice; skim milk; soy milk; and fat-free frozen yogurt. Be sure not to miss Healthy on the Hilltop – a station that features complete meal solutions for under 600 calories. With so many different stations and the ability to mix and match menu items, it’s hard to get bored at RFoC.
Mac’s Place at McElvaney Hall is a grab ‘n go restaurant that also offers great nutritious options including a salad bar; hearty soups; grilled chicken; fresh fruit and veggie cups; low-fat and fat-free yogurt; parfaits; salads; sandwiches; whole grain cereal; fresh fruit; delicious heat-and-eat entrees and sides; juice; skim milk; and low-fat chocolate milk.
Be sure to check out our other dining locations for healthy options. Go to the “Healthy On-Campus Dining Guide” here for more information.
Q. Where can I find nutrition information for the on-campus dining locations?
A. You can find nutrition information for menu items at the different dining locations through our website under the “Locations and Menus.” Nutrition information may also be available at select locations.
Q. What types of food choices should I expect to find at SMU?
A. SMU Dining Services offers a wide variety of food choices. Each dining and retail location has its own unique characteristics and menu offerings.
- RFoC: Our largest residential restaurant featuring a variety of stations including a Grill, Omelet Station, Home Zone (home cooked entrees and sides), Produce Market, Baked Potato Bar, Deli, Pizza and Pasta Station, Bakery, International Street Fare (gourmet international cuisine), and Healthy on the Hilltop (gluten-free and vegan meals). Accepts meal plans, Flex, Pony, cash and credit.
- Mac's Place: A residential restaurant/mini-convenience store featuring grab 'n go meals and snacks as well as a grill, salad bar, and snacks. Accepts meal plans, Flex, Pony, cash and credit.
- The Market: An on-campus convenience store offering a wide selection of goods including grab 'n go snacks, drinks, toiletries, cleaning supplies, and other necessities. Accepts Flex, Pony, cash and credit.
- eS MUcho: A Tex-Mex restaurant that offers made-to-order burritos, bowls, and salads. Accepts Flex, Pony, cash and credit.
- Sushic: A sushi restaurant that offers made-to-order and pre-packaged sushi. Accepts Flex, Pony, cash and credit.
- The Mane Course: A food court housing a Subway, Chick-fil-A, and Pizza Hut. Accept Flex, Pony, cash and credit.
- Cafe 100: A coffee shop that proudly brews Starbucks and offers pastries and other grab 'n go items for your convenience. Accepts Flex, Pony, cash and credit.
- Einstein Bros. Bagels: A restaurant that offers bagels, bagel sandwiches, and salads. Accepts Flex, Pony, cash and credit.
- Starbucks: A cart that offers coffee, pastries, and other grab 'n go items. Accepts Flex, Pony, cash and credit.
- SMUothies: A smoothie shop that offers smoothies and grab 'n go snacks. Accepts Flex, Pony, cash and credit.
Q. I follow a specific diet for medical reasons. How does SMU Dining Services handle this?
A. SMU Dining Services will make every attempt to accommodate your needs. We ask that you contact us as soon as possible to schedule an appointment to discuss accommodations. If you are in incoming freshman or transfer student, we are happy to meet with you during orientation so that accommodations may be arranged in advance of your arrival on campus.
Q. I am a vegetarian. Does SMU Dining Services offer vegetarian options?
A. Yes! You can find vegetarian options at each of our dining locations, with the greatest variety at our residential restaurants, RFoC and Mac’s Place. RFoC features vegetarian options at each of its stations, including vegan entrees, sides, and desserts at the Healthy on the Hilltop station. Mac’s Place offers grab ‘n go vegetarian options that you may enjoy in our seating area or take with you for later. For more information, visit the “Vegetarian Dining” section of the website.