Farm to Table Program at Dalhousie
Food Services' Farm to Table Program is an educational program focusing on:
1. Seasonal Produce, Maritime Beef, Local Pork, Local Tofu, and MSC Certified Haddock on our menus
2. Promoting local menu items and,
3. Bringing local farmers and suppliers into our 4 dining halls!
Food Services at Dalhousie University partners with local farmers and suppliers to purchase local produce, eggs, dairy, bread, beef, fish and more!
The Farm to Table Program buys locally, which increases support of local farmers and the community, conserves energy, and creates less pollution when food travels fewer miles to reach Dalhousie!
1. Seasonal Menus - Our 4 dining halls, Howe, O'Brien, Shirreff and Risley, follow seasonal menus by:
2. Promoting local menu items - Using our LCD screens located in our 4 dining halls, we are able to promote daily local menu items! We not only promote the local items, but also promote their nutritional value, nutritional benefits and other information about our local suppliers. Take a minute to read our LCD screens or check out our on line menus today!
3. Bringing local farmers and suppliers into our 4 dining halls - To support students efforts toward sustainable living, Food Services at Dalhousie University has arranged to bring local farmers and suppliers into the dining halls!